I love chocolate. I know you're thinking "me too" or "who doesn't?" But you need to understand that I really really really love chocolate. Especially the dark variety. Actually, anything homemade (even if it's not chocolate) is really tempting for me. So maybe I should say I love dessert. There have been times in my past that I have shied away from acknowledging that fact, but I basically embrace it now. I think I take after my mom. She works out hard, eats healthy, and indulges in dessert (am I right, mom?!) I would be completely fine eating grilled veggies and salad for dinner for the rest of my life as long as I had a nice serving of something sweet to follow it up. Maybe that's a little bit extreme; I love a good meal too. Okay, maybe I just like food.
This is all my preface (it makes sense, right?) for the real story, which is the three delicious desserts I made yesterday. I was so excited to finally host a home group gathering that I made not one but two cakes from scratch. Then I decided I needed to make some chocolate candy to deliver with some of Clara's valentines. The result? Way too much time spent in the kitchen, at least two hours of dish washing (I am the human dishwasher around here - no machine), and lots of calories consumed in the Hook home. Good thing I just got back from my 6 mile run with Carly. I might have to start running every day if I keep this up. Check two more new recipes from the list (I've made the Ina Garten cake before so it doesn't count) for this week :)...I am keeping my resolution. But then again it is only February.
Here are my Valentine baking endeavors. If you are still uncertain about making something/what to make, all three were delicious, especially the cakes!
Deliciousness #1: Ina Garten's Chocolate layer cake
Deliciousness #2: Valentine Cake from Spokane Jr. League (my go-to cookbook, seriously, everything I make from it is so good).
No, it is not supposed to have the "cave-in" look. That was a special Amy addition. I think I need to work on "presentation" next time :).
Deliciousness #3: Chocolate Chip Ball Surprise
That's it for now. And don't worry (Leah). This won't turn into a cooking blog. Clara will probably show up again in my next post. Or - wait -here she is after all...

4 comments:
You saved yourself at the end there. Barely.
Oh, you're making me so hungry! You crack me up, Amy. Now I'm inspired to go make some cake. :)
YUMO
Your Dad loves it when your mom gets a hankerin for sweets
Any leftovers to share with meemaw and popsi
love dad
who'd have known reading your blog could become dangerous for a pregnant woman with little self control when it comes to sweet indulgences! ;) Thanks for the recipes & "deliciousness" inspiration. I'm soooo with ya on enjoying a decadent/amazing dessert & could skimp on calories at dinner for room for chocolate goodness. You are such an amazing woman - was just telling someone else the other day what an incredible cook/baker you are too! :) Love you guys.
Post a Comment