Monday, April 26, 2010

Jonnycakes is 29




This is my husband's last birthday in the 20's. Today he turns 29. Is it really possible that we are this old?(I guess I can't really say "we" - since I am still two years behind -one major benefit of marrying an older man is that he paves the way into each larger, scary-sounding number). But the answer to that question is yes. We really are old. Old enough, at least, to have a house, a kid, careers, and some grey hairs in eyebrows (Jonathan, at least). We decided that we both feel about 22. I wonder if that will ever change? I may just feel early-twenty-ish for the next forty years? Only time will tell.

Instead of continuing to rant about the weirdness of growing older, time, life changes (and such)...I will instead offer just 29 tidbits about my husband/reasons I am head-over-heels for Jono.

29 (Very Random) Things About Jonnycakes...
1. He works harder than almost anyone I know.
2. He loves food & is an incredibly adventurous eater.
3. He gives the most amazing massages. It's just one major benefit of his chosen profession.
4. He can hear a melody and it stays in his head forever. He can instantly hear a song and harmonize.
5. He can hear song lyrics over and over and will never remember them.
6. He has roller-bladed to work before. Because he wanted to.
7. He loves maps, back roads, and unique routes.
8. He eats frozen vegetables for lunch nearly every day (I'm talking the broccoli/cauliflower medley. Utter nastiness)
9. He remembers almost everything he learns (besides song lyrics). The man can still remember the principals of calculus from high school.
10. He is horrible at quick-thinking card games. It is nice to have two things I can do better (fast games & song lyrics. I hold on to these things tightly).
11. He has an amazing voice.
12. He weighed a whopping 220 at the height of his college football career...and now is easily 40 lbs. below that weight. He was never fat, just ridiculously thick. ;)
13. He likes to read five books at once (Right now he is reading Grace Based Parenting, The Brothers K, Purpose Drive Life, Blink, and some book about Louis Pasteur)
14. For being the most ridiculously athletic person I know, he has never planned life around watching sporting events -unless we're gathering with friends. I am so thankful.
15. He could play with Clara for hours. I often have to remind him it's nap or bed time.
16. He is the object of many teenage crushes (according to the secretaries at his work). Heck, if I was in high school and Jonathan was my physical therapist, I would have been asking for doctor referrals for a long time!
17. He loves Jesus -and his faith is the most important thing in his life.
18. He wears size 12.5 shoe.
19. He doesn't like being the center of attention/person in the spotlight.
20. A perfect day for Jono would involve some intense hiking, bike riding, surfing, swimming, snorkeling, running...anything active.
21. He hated coffee when I met him and now can hardly go a day without it.
22. He loves Hawaiian pizza.
23. He will be a life-long student/learner. He is working towards his OCS, then wants a MTC (or something like that?) and eventually would love to teach in some capacity. This should come as no surprise from the 3rd grader who checked out books about fencing from the library- just to learn more about it.
24. He plays the cello and guitar. And writes music.
25. He hates hard-boiled eggs. I didn't believe him & forced them on him once. Now I do (and the evidence in my parents' back yard 9 years ago stands as testimony that he absolutely hates them).
26. He takes really good pictures.
27. He loves having a little girl. (And I am so glad we have a little girl that will grow up with a strong, involved dad). He wants another girl.
28. He is the most patient, consistent, steady person I know. It is one of the things I am most thankful for in my husband. You probably wouldn't use those words to describe me!
29. The first thing that caught my attention (at age 16, no joke) was his humility & servant-heart.

I feel so blessed that I have known this man for over 10 years. He is so different than me in so many ways (frozen veggies, hard-boiled eggs, song lyrics, card games...), but so alike in every way that counts. I know that the people you spend the most time with rub off on you. You start talking like them, acting like them, and often thinking like them. I only hope that Jonathan can rub off a bit on me in the years to come!

Happy 29th Birthday, my love (if you read this....).

Here are a few more pictures from bday gatherings this weekend. Yes, one of those events included a "werewolf birthday" in honor of his striking resemblance to the carnivorous actor...Happy Birthday Jacob cookie & all ;). Of course I have no pictures of the dinner/movie last weekend or any of family this weekend. Maybe next year I'll be better at capturing everything.

Just thought I'd link my post from last year, just for fun. A lot can change in one year!

Or if you really have a lot of time on your hands (which you may, if you've made it this far!), check out his birthday two years ago!

7 comments:

Julie said...

What a great post, Amy! You are truly blessed!!

Dan and Shell said...

Happy Birthday Jonathan! What a great birthday tribute amy!! He is lucky to have a wife like you! Too funny about the warewolf bday! Did Carly make that?!

The Boggs Family said...

Happy Birthday Jonathan!! Wow - 29, eh? I didn't know you were that old? hahaha. Amy, loved reading your 29 reasons list... made me smile & warmed in heart to know the kind of love you have for each other. Miss you both & sure adore your family. You came up in conversation last night & were being hailed/complimented as soooo sweet & genuine, instantly the kind of person you feel a connection with & want to be around. Yep! ;) Love you guys - hope Jonnycakes has a great rest of his day... and you two ladies of his too. ;)

Patrick and Kimberly Gillette said...

Happy birthday Jonathan! It was fun reading 29 tidbits about your amazing husband. :)

Haak House said...

I sure learned a lot about "Jonnycakes". Maybe some day I'll get to meet him and your precious little girl. I guess I just missed you at Grace's b-day. Bummer. Must try again:)

Anonymous said...

okay, i have a few things to say.:)
#1. hard boiled eggs are DEFINITELY grosser than frozen vegetables (although i'm not a huge fan of those either!).
#2. since you said jono wants another girl, does that mean you won't have number 2 be a surprise??
#3. awesome picture of neal and jonathan. neal looks a little scary in it.
#4. rollerblading is awesome.
okay, i think i am done.:)
so glad we got to celebrate with you guys by setting our house on fire!;)

Goforth said...

Wonderful blog :) I love the "jonathan facts". Love you all!