A few days ago we thought we’d go for a hike. We went and asked the lady at the front desk where we could go, thinking we’d just jump on some marked trail or something. She said that what we were looking for was nonexistent, but that we should join one of the jungle treks departing from the Beachouse. Today we took the trek with our tour guide, Jutah. We now understand that we could never have explored the jungles of Fiji on our own!
Jutah was an excellent guide. After all, he takes guests from the Beachouse nearly six days a week and has done so for the last six years! In addition to knowing his way perfectly through the maze of foliage, Jutah knew all about using the plants in the jungle for survival. “Fiji jungle: grocery store and pharmacy,” he said. He showed us how roots of certain plants can be ground, boiled, and used to cure the cough. He told us about the plant that you eat for breakfast and you get so full, you don’t need lunch or dinner. Of course he had dozens of other things he shared. He was very excited when he learned I was a teacher and might share some of his information with my students. I don’t know if he was as excited to hear that Jonathan is studying to become a kind of doctor. He pointed out how his ancestors, surviving off of natural products, lived long, healthy lives. With the existence of hospitals and modern medicine now days, his people are surprisingly less healthy. As you can tell, the entire trip was certainly more than just a hike; it was a cultural experience!
I’m sure you can tell from the pictures, the ground of this entire three-hour trek was mud – and Jutah did it all barefoot! I (Amy) have always had this “thing” about being barefoot. It sends shivers up my spine! I don’t think I would have done this hike for $1,000 without shoes! So, of course, it made it all the more amazing that this man has done it thousands of time without shoes! Jonathan and I were happy in our chaco sandles…and we still got PLENTY of mud all over ourselves!
We ended up at a beautiful waterfall were Jutah, despite my protesting, made us climb up into the middle of the waterfall. I kept looking back over my shoulder to where he was waiting with our camera to take our picture. He kept pointing and motioning for me to continue climbing and he wouldn’t take no for an answer. I’m glad we did it and I’m even more glad that I survivedJ. What an adventure…
Jutah was an excellent guide. After all, he takes guests from the Beachouse nearly six days a week and has done so for the last six years! In addition to knowing his way perfectly through the maze of foliage, Jutah knew all about using the plants in the jungle for survival. “Fiji jungle: grocery store and pharmacy,” he said. He showed us how roots of certain plants can be ground, boiled, and used to cure the cough. He told us about the plant that you eat for breakfast and you get so full, you don’t need lunch or dinner. Of course he had dozens of other things he shared. He was very excited when he learned I was a teacher and might share some of his information with my students. I don’t know if he was as excited to hear that Jonathan is studying to become a kind of doctor. He pointed out how his ancestors, surviving off of natural products, lived long, healthy lives. With the existence of hospitals and modern medicine now days, his people are surprisingly less healthy. As you can tell, the entire trip was certainly more than just a hike; it was a cultural experience!
I’m sure you can tell from the pictures, the ground of this entire three-hour trek was mud – and Jutah did it all barefoot! I (Amy) have always had this “thing” about being barefoot. It sends shivers up my spine! I don’t think I would have done this hike for $1,000 without shoes! So, of course, it made it all the more amazing that this man has done it thousands of time without shoes! Jonathan and I were happy in our chaco sandles…and we still got PLENTY of mud all over ourselves!
We ended up at a beautiful waterfall were Jutah, despite my protesting, made us climb up into the middle of the waterfall. I kept looking back over my shoulder to where he was waiting with our camera to take our picture. He kept pointing and motioning for me to continue climbing and he wouldn’t take no for an answer. I’m glad we did it and I’m even more glad that I survivedJ. What an adventure…
1 comment:
Hi Amy and Jonathan, It sounds like you have had a fun, relaxing, and wonderful time in Figi. The hike sounds amazing. I'm sure that you took some great pictures. Everything in Spokane has turned to ice which makes the trails we hike on very hard to travel! I hope that everything goes smoothly as you get settled in Austrilia.
Love, Aunt Pam
Post a Comment