Thursday, March 6, 2008

Our Church

We've made reference to the awesome church we've been going to for a while now, so here is the long-awaited saga:)...

As soon as we arrived here we were anxious to get plugged into a church and we didn't want to spend all four months church-hopping. I (Amy) went ahead and called a YWAM base here, having known a few friends involved in the organization, and hoping they might have a church suggestion for us. The lady on the phone told as about Goodlife, a church meeting at Goodlife Community Centre in Buderim. A week after arriving, we showed up at the Sunday evening service.

As soon as the service started we noticed a woman up on the podium during worship was wearing an Estes Park t-shirt (Estes Park is a small mountain town in Colorado that both Jonathan and I grew up visiting as kids, and where we currently have family living; it's one of our favorite places). We, of course, looked at each other in shock - each of us thinking that we might just be "seeing things". As soon as the service was over, we approached the "lady" and were anxious to talk to her. Of course, we weren't sure if she even knew of the place herself (it might have been a shirt from a friend's mom's aunt or something). As we casually waited for her to finish a conversation, a man next to her began talking with us. He actually was the pastor - and also turned out to be "her" husband. His name was (and is, of course) :) Tim. We asked about her (Donna's) t-shirt and found out that Tim & Donna had moved to Australia three years ago from Denver, where they had lived for the past seventeen years!!!. We couldn't believe it. We spent the rest of the evening down at the cafe (located within the Goodlife complex) sharing stories, talking about the differences between Oz & the US, and learning more about the church. During the converstation they invited us to be a part of their home group each Tuesday evening.

That converstation was just the beginning. We've been going to Sunday evening services since then as well as a few morning services. Tuesday nights have also been a huge highlight for us each week. Donna prepares an amazing meal and we just spend time enjoying great food, conversation and fellowship.
We have been absolutely blown away by the generosity shown to us by the Lovells (Tim & Donna and their kids, Holly & Caleb)- and by some of the people we've met through home group. My job, in fact, is a direct result of meeting Jason & Katie at home group. After hearing I needed a job, they hired me immediately as a cleaning lady for their business. I'd like to think that I'm helping them out - but I can't help but face the reality that it's the other way around (they are accomodating days off when Jonathan has time off, as well as during the busy season while Andrea & the Hooks visit in late March/early April). Also, it was through home group that we met Martin and Romona, another great couple, who offered their home to us during their six-week vacation. We are currently residing in their home until we depart. After living in shared accomodation, it is so wonderful to have a place to ourselves. It'll be great, too, to be able to stay here for three weeks with Martin & Romona until we leave the country.

Looking back over our lives in the last month and half, we can help but stand amazed at the blessings we have been given. We definitely have a greater sense of the global "church" and of the power of giving/serving. We both can't believe the way we have been taken-in and cared for -especially since we were complete strangers upon our arrival here. We just feel absolutely lavished in God's love here; it makes us want to bless others in the ways that we've been so clearly blessed. We're looking forward to being on the other end of the blessings - it feels like we just continue to be on the receiving end. I could go on and on, but I think I'll wrap it up and post a few pics:).

Here are a few pictures taken at our latest home group.
One of all of us...
Jonathan, Holly, Caleb & Tim

Donna & Bridget dealing Uno cards

4 comments:

Pineapple Princess said...

Awesome blog and really cool pictures!

Blessings,
Stacy

leahandtravishartanov said...

It's good to see another update. I'll email soon I promise. Life has been a little hectic this week. Love you both!

Dan and Shell said...

So great to have a sense of belonging, from having the commen intrest in JESUS!! I wanted to let you know I literally just took your scones out of the oven, and we absolutely LOVE them, thanks again for sharing the recipe!! Say hi to Jonathan for us!

Goforth said...

So glad to hear more news! I have missed reading your updates and check every day for them! We are thankful that God has blessed you with such a neat group of friends and fellowship (:
Love you both!
Anna