Wednesday, September 29, 2010

These Days

In the last few weeks it feels like we truly have a toddler in the house. A little girl. I've found myself having endless conversations with the Clara girl (albiet mostly one-way). This is because she responds to everything I say. Usually. "Give Kiki (her koala) a kiss". "Bring your shoes to mommy, please". "Would you like some cheese?"

Pretty much the answer to every question is "no", even when she means yes. I wasn't even certain she could say yes until this weekend. Jonathan and I were arguing about her yes-saying-capabilities when he proved me wrong. She was able to easily copy Jonathan's "yes". As for using the word on her own, we're not quite there yet.

Someday Clara will say yes when she means yes, no when she means no, up when she means up, and down when she means down. Right now she's favoring the no's and the up's in all circumstances. But I'm kind of savoring these erroneous days. I'll never forget when her months of "uh" turned into "uh-oh"s, never to be wrongly stated again.

I don't want to forget what the moments around our house are like these days...

Clara hiding behind the couch, ready to peer out and say "peek a boo". She's started saying all three syllables and it sounds hysterical.

Starting to spell out words like c-h-e-e-s-e and especially p-a-r-k to one another because Clara will get way too excited for her own good, repeating the words (especially park) endlessly and looking at us with pleading eyes.

Loving to listen to daddy's guitar, trying to say the words to "Skip to my Lou" on the Leapfrog refrigerator magnet, and going crazy to Waving Flag by K'naan (thanks, Uncle E).

Giggling so easily and saying "tickle tickle tickle" when I tickle her.

Snuggling her koala or teddy bear at every opportunity or "buddy" (blankey). This picture was taken tonight on our way back from our home group. We put Clara down to sleep in the pack & play each week and then wake her for the trip home. The pre-flash caused her to wake up just before taking it, but you get the basic gist.
Asking for her "goggles". Putting them on herself and keeping them there for extended periods.
Chanting "eeya" for literally hours on end before, during, and after seeing her cousin.

Opening the closet and finding my broom. She'll drag the broom around the house for hours, I swear.
Wanting to be a part of everything having to do with cooking, mixing, or baking. Or more precisely whatever I am doing.

Having very strong opinions about food and vegetables especially. Thank goodness for green smoothies with straws and ranch dressing with salad. At least my girl is getting her greens, if nothing else. We're not surrendering any time soon.
That's it. I just had to record some of the latest before the details get swept away in the tumultuous, raging river that is my brain.

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

I love hearing all the things Clara is doing. She's a lot of fun! I think this age marks the beginning of a lot of fun interaction. Not like the interaction wasn't fun before, but now they can really begin to comprehend and are just good company to have around. I'm definitely enjoying all the new things with HJ as well. :)

Rhiannon said...

It's a great idea to write all this down now because so much new stuff is going to come like a river -- it's hard to remember it all!! :) I love the "goggles" picture!!!!!