But last night, as I was making black bean pizza for the second time in a month, I began reflecting on my love for this pizza. It is simple. It is delicious. It's quite healthy. And the kind of meal that makes me think I might actually survive as a vegetarian (I have no plans to head that direction - just a desire to eat more veggies and less meat on the whole).
I'm not quite sure where this recipe originated, but it currently graces one of the pages of our Vaughn family cookbook. It was added by my lovely mother although I don't think she made it up. Whomever made it up, I am forever endebted to their brilliance. You will be too when you give it a try...
Black Bean Pizza
Crust (I use this for all my homemade pizzas):
Dissolve
*2 teaspoons yeast in 1 c. warm water (let soften a few minutes)
Add:
*1 teaspoon sugar
*1 teaspoon salt
*2 Tablespoons oil
*2 cups white flour
*1/2 c. whole wheat flour
Knead a few minutes, then rest a short time (15 minutes? That's about how long I let mine rest last night when I had to frantically run to the store for cilantro). Roll out and bake @ 425 degrees for five minutes before adding the sauce & toppings.
Sauce
In food processor or blender combine:
*one can black beans, rinsed and drained (Jonathan made it one time without draining the beans and it was a soupy mess)
*3 Tablespoons olive oil
*2 Tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro (or more!)
*1 teaspoon cumin
*1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (I'm a wimp so I just do a few drops)
*1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Spread bean mixture on pre-baked pizza crust. Add the following toppings:
*small can sliced olives, drained
*1/2 c. or more diced red bell pepper (I used green this time because I has some on hand)
*1/4 c. sliced green onions
*8 oz. jack/cheddar blend cheese
Bake at 425 degrees for 7-12 more minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa!
If I'm honest with myself, I'm not sure if I'd look at this recipe and think delicious if I hadn't already experienced it's goodness. You might be like me. But I would say: go for it. Make it tonight! You might just find that your husband (or son, or sister, or aunt, or nephew), like mine, begins asking for it on a regular basis!
4 comments:
This sounds delicious, Amy. Thanks for sharing! Wish I could've hung out more while you were here in CO, hope to see you more next time!
I hope to try it soon :) Thanks for the recipe! I prefer other people looking through the recipe books & trying them out...then if they think they are good, I may try it ;) Ha!
Thanks for the great recipe ~ I'm going to try it tomorrow night! It looks delicious. Thank you for telling me to drain the beans, I totally would have done what Jonathan did!
Thanks for the recipe Am! We tried it and it was great - do you mind if I share it on my blog?
Post a Comment