Thursday, March 3, 2011

Snow Shoe Thursday

One of the best parts about my husband's job, hands down, is the fact that he has a day off in the middle of the work week. Yes, he puts in long hours on the other four days, but when Thursdays roll around, I have a tendency to forget about that. The frustrating moments fade away and I revel in the fact that it is a Thursday morning and we're having breakfast at Rockwood. Or it's Thursday afternoon and we're having family time at the Y. Or that it's Thursday and we're off snow shoeing with friends at Mt. Spokane.

Yes, snow shoeing is exactly what we did this past Thursday. We met our friends Kelly and David (and their darling little one, Norah) for an afternoon of trekking through the snow at the top of the mountain. David doesn't usually have Thursdays off, but he managed to take a well deserved break.

I've only snow shoed a handful of times, but this time felt much more adventurous than all the times before. Maybe it was the fact that it was snowing. Or maybe it was because we never ran into another live soul (it was a Thursday, after all). It could've been the fact that we forged our own trail some of the time. Whatever the reason, it screamed adventure.

We both left the mountain feeling like successful parents. Somehow we managed the napping situation just right so that we could go on our trek and let Clara nap, at the same time. Glorious, I know. We'll tuck that feeling into our back pockets for a later date when we need a little parental pick me up ;).

Here are a few pictures of our day. As you can see, the girls were bundled to the max!
You can probably infer who was behind the camera the whole time. How did I never capture a picture of Jonathan? Instead, here is his artistic tree picture.
Horrah for Thursdays. And friends. And snow (although I'd be happy if this event marked our last snow adventure of the year. Bring on the heat, please!).

1 comment:

The Boggs Family said...

Love it!! Awesome -- what a totally refreshing, adventurous retreat in the middle of your week! Great pics -- and I love the friendship that's bloomed so sweetly between you & the Blomgren's (did I spell that right?) Loved hearing about their adoption & will keep praying! :) Try not to worry about cougars like me - hahaha - your comment was great & you're absolutely right; it could make me go crazy if I dwell on it! Just good to be aware --- so if you guys come visit, the fact that we're in a larger group is already a deterrent, but also, we'll be prepared if we encounter one. I've heard having "bear" spray works great... it's basically like mace, I think? But I also think Ken will get a gun to hike with when we're down there. I actually think we'll end up in the country house afterall. Long story, but it's looking that way - which means that's just where God wants us & we will trust and take precautions. Love & hugs & so glad you had a fun snow shoeing day!!! :)