Monday, June 13, 2011

The Cake Message

This is the cake I made my mom for her birthday. She and my dad came over for a special meal in early April and the Hooks came along too (boy is it convenient that our parents are great friends with one another). We brought it out to the living room after dinner and we sang happy birthday to my mom.

I waited an entire five minutes (or so it seemed) before cutting into the cake. I wanted everyone to decode the message on top of the cake. Can you figure it out?

My mom turned fifty-three and her birthday is April 3rd, so the numbers had nothing to do with her. Wouldn't she think it strange? Apparently not. Finally I said something like "Weird. What do those numbers mean?". Only then did someone say, "no? Is that your due date? Are you pregnant?!!" I was expecting them to come to that conclusion in seconds. But they did get it, in the end. It just took them a bit longer than I had predicted.

So yes, we are pregnant. And really really excited, of course.

I was a little off on my due date, though. After our first ultrasound, it looks more like early December (the 4th). Maybe I was just pulling for the thought of an 11/ of 11 birthday ;). Who knows. If this little one debuts a bit early like his/her older sister, it will be November. Or if I follow in the footsteps of a few friends, I'll have this baby past my due date. We shall see! I'm fifteen weeks (four months for those who don't think in weeks) and in my second trimester.

I'm pretty sure that these last eleven weeks (since we've known) have been some of the slowest moving in my life. I suppose it's to be expected. I've been praying often against fear. And even if I haven't lived victoriously in that arena at every waking moment, I am learning a lot about trusting the Lord and giving up control. Because honestly, I don't really have control, do I? And I don't really want it. God knows the exact story he has for our family. And I'm pretty certain that it is infinitely superior to the plans I have (even when I think my plans are best, right?!).

Will this little bundle be a he or a she? We could find out in a just a few weeks but I think we're opting to be surprised again. I know. Most days I think we're kind of insane - but we'll be thrilled either way, so we're excited to experience the crazy moment in the hospital, yet again.

I'm sure I'll be writing more in the coming weeks. But just to document these past three months of pregnancy, I can summarize easily: exhaustion, nausea, whacked-out digestive system (to put it nicely), and more exhaustion. I'm anticipating the day I can make it from morning to night without a nap. I will accomplish so much more when that day comes. But I'm not complaining. I'll take it. Really, I will :).

And in case you're wondering, we have told Clara. She says the baby is a boy and we should name him mommy. She also holds up her shirt and tells us she has a baby in her tummy. Hmmmm. Going through pregnancy this time around (with a two year old) may prove quite interesting.

20 comments:

Kelsey said...

What a fun way to tell your family! Congratulations, again! :)

The Boggs Family said...

You are always so creative, Amy! Love how you told your family... and think it's funny (and a cute part of this little one's story) that his/her grandparents took a bit before they caught on to your sweet news! We are praying much for you & are overjoyed by your pregnancy! Love you tons!!

Erin said...

Great! I knew that this would be a pregnancy announcement as soon as I read the subject line, "the cake message," so I thought that it was extra hilarious it took the recipients a little while. Congrats! I love that Clara wants you to name him "Mommy." xo

Kimmer said...

Yay! We're so excited for you guys, and excited to have kids close in age again. :) Oh, and both sets of grandparents (except for my dad) were really slow on the uptake when we announced we were pregnant with Haylee. They were faster this time around. :) So happy for you!

Keith and Meghan said...

YAY!!! Congratulations :) "Mommy" has a nice ring to it...I think you should definitely think about adding it to your list! HA!

Bethany said...

Yay! Congrats to the Hook family!! So cute how you told your families! Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

the tampiens said...

CONGRATS!!! We will continue to pray for you guys during your pregnancy!

Greta said...

:) Yay! I too knew exactly what it was when I saw "the cake message" and confirmed it when I saw the date. How exciting!!

Haaks2 said...

Great idea Amy! So happy for you and the fam. What an exciting time:).

Wichman said...

Congrats Amy! How exciting :) and 12/4 is a good day! I know a couple people with that birthday. Hope you get to feeling better soon, and congratulations again!

carly said...

whoo hoo! :) of course, we are SO excited for you guys and can't wait to meet this new baby that is going to join your family. we love you guys!

Jill Reuter said...

Amy, I love the cake ~ what a great idea! I am so happy for you guys. Gender will be a surprise for us, too, so you aren't the only crazy ones, if that makes you feel better. I love Clara's name choice, that is so cute. Henry also thinks he has a baby in his uterus. I decided not to get into that one . . . ! Congrats again and I wish you lots of second trimester energy, hopefully to come your way soon.

Patrick and Kimberly Gillette said...

Congratulations Amy! I couldn't be happier for you and I look forward to following your family as you continue to grow!

Cameron and Lisa said...

Congrats, Amy!! So excited for you guys! :)

Blomgrens said...

Yippy for baby Hook!!!!! So thrilled. And, I totally hear ya on God's plans vs. ours.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm thrilled for you guys! You are such a great mum and obviously love your family. You will love it!~MIkayla

Bob Meisel said...

I was laughing about how "slow" both sets of your parents were until I remembered the way Barry and Alyssa let us know about Kendyl. We were seeing their home in Chicago for the first time and had to walk around a high chair with "it's a boy and it's a girl" ballons on it and didn't even notice since we were looking past the chair into their family room! So Alyssa made a comment so we'd look and then of course we were super excited.
We're so happy for you and pray you begin feeling much better but mostly pray for a good pregnancy and healthy baby!

Anonymous said...

Just noticed I logged in under Uncle Bob instead of Aunt Becky (-: I'm sure you figured it out but just in case....it was me.
Love you,
Aunt Becky

Katie said...

Yeah! Congratulations Hooks! We couldn't be more excited for you. What a blessed little one to have you as parents :)

The Chases said...

I love this post! I ditto so many things in it...especially the worry and fear. Gosh it is so difficult to just let it be in Gods hands. Hard not to worry about our little ones, even when we haven't met them yet. And the napping comment - I hate napping but can't live without them right now. But congrats to your family!!! What a blessing and a beautiful little miracle coming your way. I love the way you write =) Keep the updates coming. XOXO The chases