Thursday, April 7, 2011

Simplicity

I am reading a really good book. Actually, I have read it once and am working my way through a second time. And yes, if I've talked to you about this, you're probably already rolling your eyes. Now Amy is posting about it? Things are really getting out of hand ;).

But it kind of summarizes this place in life where I currently find myself. And it explains a bit of what I've been up to lately. The book is called Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider. How many people do you know without a vowel in their first name? Now you (kind of) know one. Anyways, it is a great book. A really great book.

What is this great book about, you ask? Well, the subtitle gives you an idea, the clutter free approach to intentional living. The first part of the book talks about creating a family mission statement to guide all kinds of decisions about how you use your time and resources. I don't know if other people relate, but since making the choice to stay at home, I feel like I've been bombarded with options. And this is a good thing. (It's funny I used to wonder if staying at home might be boring. Ha.) There are toddler groups and classes, opportunities to work part-time in certain arenas, ministries, etc. etc. etc. When I was teaching, it was easy to focus on doing that well. The little bit of leftover time was easily consumed with family and friends. Now, time is a little bit trickier. There is a whole lot more of it, but not as much as you might think (when you count all that eating and sleeping time). It can easily be absorbed in dozens of great activities. But I don't want to look back on these years and see that I ran around from thing to thing, doing twelve things that I really was not passionate about. I want to choose every thing on my calendar because it fits with what we're about as a family.

So we wrote the family mission statement. We wrote the (surprisingly long) list of weekly and monthly commitments. And we put everything on the chopping block. It was a great process. The result? Quite a few changes are on the horizon in the next few months. And I'm hoping we do this continuously. It'll certainly be necessary, I think.

Part two of the book? The household purge. After a whole lot of motivating (and a little bit of guilt, but not too much ;)), she guides you through one room in your house at a time. We're only a few days in and have been thrilled with the piles of things that are leaving our home. How is it possible that in just 2.5 years of living in a space, we've accumulated so much? Clara is only some of the answer.
Is there anything as freeing as watching bins and piles leave your house, never to return? At this exact moment in time I can honestly say no!

Now I do acknowledge that this book was just what I needed to read at this moment in time. It might not be what you need. After recommending it to a few friends who have gone out and bought it, I'm a bit worried. It might not be all that great for where they find themselves in life at the moment. But then again, if you did buy it, I bet you'd get something out of it. Even if you already have a family mission statement and a perfectly purged home ;).

6 comments:

Blomgrens said...

So far the book is great, thanks for the recommendation. Also, I really wish you had let me sift through some of your purged stuff before you let it go :) I obviously haven't gotten to the purging stage yet! Ha!

carly said...

i am excited to go through all of our rooms. and seeing your trunk of stuff makes me even more! great book.:)

Keith and Meghan said...

This sounds perfect. I totally get what you are saying about "time" as a (mostly) stay at home mom. It's hard to focus! At the end of the day/week/month I feel like I let so much time slip by---probably because I was divided and busy, not really investing in anything fully (well, other than Kendall!). I might have to check this book out. Thanks Amy!

Kimmer said...

Great post, Amy! I love looking at the Simple Mom website, which I believe is done by the same author as your book. I love going through things and streamlining possessions--such a good feeling. My mother-in-law calls it "putting your house on a diet." :)

The Boggs Family said...

Amy, great post & I loved your texts too... so sorry I haven't responded til now! I am thinking of you guys all the time, though, and you are in my prayers! I loved reading this post. I ordered this book for Ken as a birthday gift (along with another book he was wanting too), because he is often talking about wanting to simplify our lives and curious for ways we can do that. I had read good reviews on this book -- and now am all the more stoked because you have loved it!!! :) Hurray! Only bummer... I couldn't find the amazon box his books came in, in the midst of all the moving boxes. So, Ken's birthday came & went yesterday, with his only clue about his birthday gift being a laughable clue: it's hidden in a box. :) Happy hunting! hahah Happy birthday to Jonathan this week! :) Love & hugs to you all & thank you again for all the fantastic road snacks.. they have been enjoyed much!!!!

Julie said...

I have it on order from the library after you mentioned it. I get her blog posts sent to my email everyday but think the book will put it all in one place. I seriously feel like this house needs to "throw up" in a BIG way. I'm so ready...but need the book first! ha ha Right now I'm reading Simplicity Parenting. I love it...although wordy...it is so good. After 10 years of parenting I KNOW without a doubt that our kids are way too stimulated and busy...this book talks about protecting our children's childhood...so good, and freeing!!