There is something about
the places that hold the best childhood memories. The great recollections never seem to fade - and neither do the feelings associated with the place. Whenever we pull up to a stop at the lake, I swear I get the same feeling that I did twenty-two years ago when we climbed out of the car and raced to get the first view of the lake. Maybe it's the fresh mountain air. Or the incredible view of the dock, framed by the hanging flowers, the hammock trees, and the teepee that has stood since my childhood. It might just be the peaceful feeling of no agenda or deadlines or to do lists. Whatever the reason for the feeling, it is one I cherish with each passing year.
The thing that makes it all so much sweeter is watching my little girl create the same memories and feelings associated with the lake. This reality sure helps during the moments of nap struggles, parenting issues, nursing schedules, and early mornings that are part of the new lake memories these past few years. Time at the lake may not be quite as
carefree as the years gone by, but there are wonderful moments of relaxation still. And more importantly, there are tons and tons of new memories being made. These ones are even better because they'll be shared with our kids - and there's nothing better than watching your little girl fall in love with the place you have loved since childhood.
All of this is quite the preface to say that we just got back from the lake. We spent nine days together as a family (the whole Vaughn clan) at Priest. And our group keeps growing! All family members were present - including Ethan's girlfriend Micheal (Ann), making for ten adults, two toddlers and two babies. We rented an additional cabin to fit the fourteen of us and packed both spaces to the brim.
I am sure I sound like a broken record when it comes to lake reflections throughout the years, but I'll say it again. I just love the lake. And I love my family. Nine days is a long stretch of time - but it still seemed to fly by. We packed a lot into the days, but had a fair amount of nothingness as well. Here was our time together in (a lot of) pictures...
 |
| We experienced two crazy storms during our stay - this one the first night! |
 |
| Grammy painted the fingers and toes of both Clara and Everett! |
 |
| Sweet Harper, my three month old niece |
 |
| My dad found a huckleberry picking companion in Clara |
 |
| I LOVE the sitting (and not yet moving) stage |
 |
| She couldn't get enough of jumping off the dock |
 |
| I love these two shots - you can definitely tell they're siblings! |
 |
| Making sandcastles was a definite Clara highlight |
 |
| Third annual Ethan & Trav vs. Jono & Dev - E&T win again! |
 |
| Outdoor movie night with the projector & citronella candles ;) |
 |
| Being thrown by daddy was another highlight for C |
 |
| Oh yes, and any activity with Michael |
 |
| Minnow catching with Aunt Leah |
 |
| Ladies walk to breakfast at Hill's |
 |
| Little campfire & s'mores |
 |
| Our little slice of paradise |
 |
| The boy cousins |
 |
| Family shot |
 |
| Annual boys rock jump |
 |
| Grammy braided Clara's hair - I love this |
 |
| Somebody loves his auntie! |
I just counted forty-five pictures in all. Pretty ridiculous, really! But what a wonderful week it was :).
5 comments:
Ahhhhhmaaazing!!! As always, you do such a beautiful job of sharing your love for & heart - for all things dear & have a way of making these cherished memories palpable! I love that you are carrying on family traditions & your fave childhood memories with your kids now, too. And um, your family could not be more FUN! Look at all of the youthful energy going on at your gatherings - love these pics, but more importantly, love you guys in 'em! And P.S. There are totally some pics in here that you guys have to frame & hang - goodness!! :)
P.S. I feel a little self-conscious now, should I go back and count how many pics I included today to our blog update too? hahah. It'd been a while, and I'm pretty sure there's quite a few; oh well - pictures are so fun, right?! :)
Family + Time at the Lake = Perfect, even if it is a bit more complicated now with little kids. ;) I love all the pictures! Your family looks like a lot of fun!
i love clara's braids and her smile in all the pictures. looks like a great 9 days. can't wait for our time up at priest now! :)
Such great pictures Amy! You are so lucky to have a family cabin up at Priest...& such a great family to be apart of :) Looks like you had such a great time! I loved looking through all the pics :)
Post a Comment