You may remember two years ago when Jono turned the big 3-0. I pulled off the
biggest surprise of my lifetime. It involved waking him at 3am for our 5am flight to Oakland - and eventually three nights in Yosemite with friends. And he had no idea it was coming.
Let's just be honest. There is no way in the civilized world to surprise me like that. I have way too much control over our schedule - and as the mama, it will kill me to leave my kids behind after zero/no preparation. So my husband is a smart man. He gave me warning. In early January he told me some dates (March 5-8) and said we were going
somewhere together for my 30th.
Despite being a bit hesitant to leave the kids (mostly Caleb, whom we'd never left), I was beyond excited. We had not been on a trip together just the two of us (without a baby - a real one or an
en utero one) since Australia. That was five years ago. And that is just too long, folks.
So on Tuesday March 5th, we boarded our plane to Denver, Colorado for a four day/three night adventure, just the two of us.
 |
| We were without diapers, binkies, or crayons. It was amazing. |
Our first stop in town was the the historic
Patterson Inn near our old neighborhood. We checked in with enough time to relax for a bit and get ready for dinner. We met our friends Ed & Hayley (who were also experiencing a first - leaving their 3 month old son also named Caleb - with her sister for a date night out) at one of our very favorite
Denver restaurants. It was
restaurant week in Denver and they were offering an amazing three course meal special. It doesn't get much better than legit family-style Italian.
 |
| The worst picture on the planet, but you get the idea |
 |
| The four of us |
Wednesday morning we woke way too early (I am sad to say we were both wide awake each morning around 6am, even on vacation -we are old and lame, I guess) and went for a run around capitol hill. Let me tell you, just waking up with the opportunity of taking a run together without packing seventy pounds along in the jogging stroller was a gift. Then we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the Inn before hitting the road. Here are some pictures of our bed & breakfast. It was awesome (nice work, Jono!)...
Where exactly did we head from there, you wonder? Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's true. A six hour-ish drive south from Denver, it's a perfect hub of
beauty meets
history meets
food meets
art meets
weather meets
far from home. And it was the perfect combination for us this weekend.
We basically spent two days eating well, hiking, exploring the town, and doing exactly what we wanted to do, right when we wanted to do it. Like rolling over in bed for an extra few minutes of sleep, taking long showers and losing track of all time and schedule. It was glorious.
But the best part, by far, was being together. As much as I love being a mom and watching Jonathan be a dad, it was so great to take a break from the parenting role and just enjoy being the two of us. I'm pretty sure we laughed more, had more random conversation, and just enjoyed more quiet than we have in the past few months/years combined. It's not like I
really forget, but it's great to be reminded so overwhelmingly that we have a pretty good thing going.
Here is our time together, in and around Santa Fe:
 |
| Some cool old buildings near the plaza |
 |
| Adobe reins supreme in Santa Fe |
 |
| St. Francis Cathedral |
 |
| La Casa de Amy & Jono for two nights |
 |
Delicious "New Mexican" food (it tastes just
like Mexican food). Go figure! |
 |
| Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks hike...here we go |
 |
| Amazing slot canyons |
 |
| All this beauty calls for some posed PT Associates shots, of course |
 |
| My hot hiking buddy |
 |
| More poses. "If It's Physical, It's Therapy", folks. :) |
 |
| More delicious New Mexican cuisine |
 |
| And a finale historical landmark: San Francisco Asis Mission |
It was a lovely trip, as you can see. I am so thankful that I have a husband who would plan such a fun getaway and I want to remember that it is always worth it to make time together a priority (not just Colorado/New Mexican trips but the little things, of course). Even when we miss our kids - and they miss us - I hope they always know that mom and dad love spending time together. And in the end, it's a triple win, right? Win for the both of us and a win for them.
And just in case you're wondering, it's true, "dreams come true, yes they do in Santa Fe". If you have no idea what I'm talking about (and missed Christian Bale in all his seventeen year old glory), I'm sorry. Google
Newsies. ;)
5 comments:
Ah...so nice for you two!! It looks like you had a glorious time! :)
Aims- I have been excited for this post! So glad you guys had this awesome time together! Also, love your Newsie's quote (: luv ya Sis!
First of all, HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY!!! :) Holy smoley, I cannot believe that one passed me by and I didn't realize you just celebrated -- wahoo!!! congrats!! What an amazing weekend away and memory together to ring in this new chapter of life. ;) I loved all these pictures and the way you share. You can tell you have such gratitude in life - such indelible joy - what an amazing pair you two are!! I love that Jonathan would plan ahead for something like this (and that you did likewise for him!) ... I love that you love the outdoors together, and great food, and laughing & enjoying being with one another and I agree fully, that it's so nice when you get time together, sans kids, to remind yourselves what a great marriage you have. ;) God bless you both!... you guys never cease to inspire & amaze me!! LOVE YOU!!!! ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))
How did I miss all of these posts?! So fun to see pictures from your trip, I had been wanting to! Love the bed and breakfast (and the pictures of Jono behind plates of Mexican food).
WONDERFUL!!!! Looks amazing and so romantic :)
Post a Comment