Thursday, November 5, 2009

On the Mend

Today marks day #14 of illness (not that I'm counting or anything). What was my sickness exactly? I'm not really sure because I never was officially tested for H1N1. I am pretty sure that this little flu/sickness (whatever it was) was a special all-in-one package because I experienced just about every symptom that one can imagine while sick. Except an eye infection. I didn't get one of those, thankfully:).

One of the worst parts was that I was really quite certain that the grand finale was my left ear drum bursting late Saturday night. I thought all the nasty fluid would just escape from my ear and - wala - end of illness. Little did I know that there was a surprise encore in store: pneumonia. Now I'm on antibiotics and just need my eardrum to fully heal so I can hear with both ears again. I'm already starting to pray that Clara did not inherit my ridiculous ear canals.

But I seriously think I'm on the mend. Any day now I will spring out of bed with an intense desire to go on a run, make some homemade apple sauce, or do something productive. The last two weeks have been a little sad in the Hook household - mostly consisting of eating, sleeping, watching Clara play and sleeping again.

Actually this whole thing may have been just fine if I had a better attitude about it. It really hasn't been the end of the world or anything. The problem is with ME. I was always that kid in elementary school that hated being sick because I was missing out on everything at school. Maybe that's why I became a teacher...I just couldn't get enough:). I have just hated the fact that I've been missing out on life and haven't been able to fully enjoy Clara like I usually do. I hate that.

I did do a couple of things in the last two weeks though (maybe contributing to the fact that I am not yet better). I know I probably jumped the gun, but oh well. I went to the district volleyball tournament on Saturday (Halloween) and to a little Halloween gathering Saturday night. We even managed church on Sunday morning and a baby celebration at Europa that evening. It was really nice to get out of the house and I don't regret them, though I probably should.

Here is Clara in costume. I know you already got a sneak peak and this shot isn't much better. Here she is asleep at the vb match, dreaming of the day when her mommy will come back from the dead...:)
Next year I'll have some amazing Halloween post with cute pictures and fun stories and I'll wow you. You'll be thinking, "Wow. The Hooks are really cool. They have cool halloween parties and neat treats. And that Clara is so cute in her little costume that Amy made from scratch" (okay - a little far-fetched). So, make sure and read my blog next Halloween, okay.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm sorry you've been sick Amy... It is REALLY the pits, and 14 days is such a long time. Really has the potential to kill the morale, doesn't it? Drink lots of water and get well soon. xo

the tampiens said...

Clara looked so cute, and I'm sure your Halloween was better than you give yourself credit for!! Hope you're feeling better!