Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Velvety Squash Soup

I realize this post is slightly random. Velvety squash what?! I know. If you could make a top ten list of the least likely blog titles you might find on "the adventures of the hooks", this might appear somewhere on your list.

I'm just throwing it out there, in honor of my blogging past. This little blog has kind of been a combination of our family history/scrapbook, random thoughts on life/motherhood (less of this lately), and an occasional recipe (way less of this lately). So, just to mix things up a bit, I am posting about this lovely soup.

I have made it four times in the past few months and it has never failed to wow my husband. And I have been equally obsessed. It's simple and delicious - and another one to add to the I might just be able to survive life as a vegetarian list as well as the It is freezing outside and I really need soup to warm my soul. It has been slightly adapted from my sister's mother-in-law, who is a fabulous cook.

Roast on a rimmed cookie sheet @ 425 for 25(ish) minutes:
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 acorn squash, cubed
1 onion, cut in large half moons
*toss above with 2 T. olive oil
Puree the above vegetables in a food processor or if you're so lucky, a Vitamix. Place in a large saucepan over medium heat and add:
5 c. chicken broth (I just used the TJ's box which is slightly less because I sometimes don't follow directions very thoroughly)
1 can coconut milk (again, you can't beat TJs for $1)
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 t. salt
1/8 t. red pepper
1/2 c. half & half (it calls for 2/3 c and by all means do this - I just get a little freaked out about cream. I'm weird)

Heat it through and serve with some fresh and delicious bread (homemade, Trader Joe's, Petit Chat, Great Harvest, the like).

P.S. It should also be stated that I had my lovely cousin Tracy for dinner last night and I told her we were having "velvety squash soup" for dinner. She said, "The velvety part, at least, sounds good. And the rest of it, not so much" And even she, as skeptical as she was at first, admitted that it was delicious and she loved it. So there. Try it if you dare. :)

No comments: