Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jono's Race

A year ago today I ran my first half marathon. It was thrilling and new, exciting and quite the accomplishment for me (the running-hater of yesteryear). This year I passed the baton. And my husband outdid me (surprise, surprise). It was his first half marathon too. He creamed me even though he was feeling quite sick the night before. Even though we thought the race started an hour later and literally flew out the door to barely make it on time. Even though he "died" on Mile 10 and substantially slowed his pace. He outdid me by a whopping 40ish minutes. He ran a 1:36 something. And I am proud of him. Clara is too, as you can see.
I'd prepped her to cheer him on. She was ready with her loud and confident, "go daddy go". What she didn't understand was that daddy would run past her as we stood along the course. "Daddy! Daddy? Daddy?" she yelled after him, raising her voice in confusion. By the time we loaded the car again and headed to the finish line, I think she understood. She even gave an unprompted, "run faster, daddy" and at the finish line, "nice work, Daddy". She steals phrases and applies them as her own often these days. I love it.

Next year? A husband/wife duo. Will we finish in 2:16 or 1:36? Stay tuned. I'm sure you're dying to know. I am too.

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

Way to go, Jonathon! I love the descriptions of Clara during the race. Someday, I'm sure you'll both be cheering her on (or running with her!) in a half-marathon. ;)

Blomgrens said...

I love how Clara reacted! So cute. And, way to go Jono!!