Friday, May 3, 2013

Clara is FOUR

Slightly excited about her new guitar
This past week our Clara girl turned four. She is so big.

I think each year on May 3rd we'll feel the same way since she's our oldest. We will look at our little girl and see a new, big number that feels foreign and a little bit scary. Four. It represents completely uncharted parenting territory. By the time Caleb hits this landmark, we will be seasoned parents to four year olds. Right now it feels a bit overwhelming though.

It's not as if she has changed overnight. And in some ways it just makes sense since she's been mistaken for a five year old dozens of times. But four means new things. A day a week more of preschool next school year. Her first soccer season in the fall. And the last year home from all-day school (all-day kindergarten was passed in our district just days ago). Time is going by so quickly. I want to stop and savor.

In the spirit of stopping and savoring, here are a few things about Miss Clara, at age four:

*She is very spirited. Our easy easy baby (great at the three things that make babies easy: eating, sleeping and pooping) has grown into quite the feisty little girl. There truly isn't a dull moment with Clara because she is full of so much energy and enthusiasm.
*Some of her biggest loves in life continue to be the same things she has loved all along: people (she never tires of them and makes new friends every time we play at the park), books (she has an almost endless attention span for them), music (she knows more songs by heart than the average twelve year old, I'm sure ;)), anything arts/crafts (again, think insatiable love), and outdoor adventures with our family, especially those involving bikes.
*Not surprisingly, she loves knowing the "schedule" each day. Every night Jonathan does bedtime duty (bath, teeth, story) and she always requests I come in at the end to tell her all the details of the next day. And when she wakes in the morning, she remembers everything that is supposed to happen. She is a lot like her mama and this is equally nice (I relate to her) and disturbing (I hate seeing my flaws in the form of a four year old!).
*She is such an incredible "helper girl". She is very eager to be my assistant in just about any task I can come up with. She joins in cooking and cleaning, loves yard work and helping daddy "work on bikes" (his latest hobby), and she is an incredible big sister. She definitely has her moments, but most of the time she is quick to share with Caleb and finds all kinds of creative ways to play with him and create special "playing opportunities" for him ;). Caleb, in turn, adores his big sister.

Four year old stats:
Height: 95%
Weight: 87%

Some of my favorite quotes from the past few months (I use the notes section of my phone to record them before I forget)...
*In response to Caleb grabbing for her plastic princess ring, "Sorry Caleb, you cannot have my ring because I'm just about to marry someone."
*After listening to me sing an Australian tune, "What's a gumtree? I don't see any gum trees around here."
*In between sobs after accidentally letting go of her helium balloon, "It's going to God. All the way to God."
*When I told her she couldn't play with her new water table yet, "I know mom. I'm just going to look at it and pretend there is water in it."
*Her thoughts on having lice, "I want those bugs to live in grass instead of hair."
*On Caleb's recent hair cut, "Since my hair is short and beautiful, Caleb wants his hair cut."

And finally, an interview with our little four year old:
Favorite color? pink
Favorite fruit? cuties
Favorite food? cookies
Favorite vegetable? cucumbers with "normal" hummus (too many varieties apparently)
Favorite dinner? quesadillas with chicken inside
Favorite drink? lemonade (from Olivia's house)
Favorite thing to wear? pretty flower dress
Favorite book? Pinkalicious (good answer, since this is your birthday party theme!)
Favorite show? Sesame Street
Favorite movie? Tangled (two years running!)
Favorite place to go? Jump & Bounce
Favorite thing about dad? Sitting on couch and reading books with him
Favorite thing about mom? When she sits on couch and reads books with me
Favorite thing about Caleb? Playing with him
What makes you the most excited about turning four? My birthday party
What do you want to be when you grow up? A doctor

Here are a few pictures from her special day...
Breakfast choice = dutch babies
Lunch date with mama at The Scoop
Opening presents with daddy
Me & my girl
And there you have it! A little slice of the Claranator on her 4th birthday.

2 comments:

carly said...

FOUR! I can hardly believe she is four. I will never forget you calling me to tell me that she was born! So crazy. Love her. :)

The Boggs Family said...

Happy belated birthdays to Clara AND Jonathan! Busy few weeks this Spring, eh? ;) So fun to be in this crazy stage of parenting/life though, isn't it? I mean, we are in so many ways, in the "throws" of it --- yet still young and full of dreams and (honestly, I hope that lasts a lifetime into our rocking chair years) ;)... but there's still so much to look forward to, and a boatload to enjoy in the now. Exhausted, crazy, FULL, intimidating now. You guys are such phenomenal people and parents --- what a gift your kids have to be raised by you two! Glad you plunge into the memories and getaways, trips and adventures of life. Love you guys & send hugs your way...