Monday, February 11, 2008

Crab Madness!

Jonathan enjoying the live ones during his lunch break
All eight in the crate - trying to claw their way to freedom
Ben showing me the tricks of the trade
Even after he killed them they kept moving - gross!
The pile of legs

One of our housemates, Ben, works as a manager of a crab company on the spit. Yesterday he brought home eight huge live crabs. We had agreed that if he brought the meat, I'd attempt to make dinner with it. Sure enough, we went through the entire process together. He (thankfully) killed them and then we pulled out all the meat. It was about a two-hour process and we are still smelling the after effects in our kitchen today. I made my first ever crab cakes as well as crab dip. Both actually turned out great and all the housemates were enjoying the goodness of fresh crab!

We still have lots of crab left over and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the rest of it. I'm going to attempt a crab quiche recipe and then we might just do it Australia-style and throw them on the ol' barbie -- that or broil them. It's been quite the experience. I've never cooked with crab before, much less had the live ones crawling around my kitchen! Yet another adventure:).

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my....you are making it hard on us here in the good ol' USA. Wow fresh crab. Try some fresh in a green salad, Amy. What a treat. You are making me proud of your culinary "conquests."
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Yeah, i am so impressed Amy!!:) I have to admit, its probably a good thing that i'm not there surrounded by all that fish right now. i don't think my pregnant stomach would deal with it very well.:) i bet its so much much better fresh though!

Erin said...

I love your updates Amy! Keep 'em coming, I'm a regular reader. About the crab: I have a recipe for a crab/corn chowder that I think is really yummy. Let me know if you still have any left.