So...compiled during the deadly walk home is a list of how you know when you've overdone it w/ the on-foot groceries:
1. You don't even make it out of the store before your arms are hurting
2. Three different people make comments to you as you walk down the street (including one kind offer for a ride)
3. You have to stop at least ten times to "adjust" -- but honestly you're just taking a breather
4. You get in "Bloomsday" or "Bolder Boulder" mode and start setting mini goals for yourself --just make it to the garbage up there, Amy, you can do it --
5. You have sweat through the back of your t-shirt by the time you reach your kitchen (I know that I've always been an easy sweater, but still!)
So, hopefully I have learned my lesson. I even thought of some reasonable solutions:
1. Take the scooter
2. Take my husband
3. Take multiple trips
4. Just say no to the extra jar of Nutella!
Here is a pic of my groceries. They may not look like much, but trust me...
(the reusable sacks are only beneficial when you remember to bring them with you)
(the reusable sacks are only beneficial when you remember to bring them with you)
Just for fun, a few of our staples here in Oz: muesli for breakfast, tuna for lunch, and Nutella (okay, we bought the store brand -- here there are at least four brands) for ANYTIME!
I splurged today and bought the ingredients for my favorite scones in the entire world. A two pack of yoghurt: $2.21. Long-life full cream milk: $1.09 (they don't have half & half here!), white chocolate chips: $3.64 and some almonds: $2.34 It will be worth every cent (I hope)!
Just for fun, here is the recipe. I'm not kidding when I say these scones are amazing. Can I get anyone to second that? Andrea, Janie, Greg, Sarah, Aunt Gayle, Coworkers, Leah, Ethan, Dev, Laris, Mom????
White Chocolate Chip/Craisin Scones
3 c. flour (or 2 c. flour, 1 c. oats)
1/2 c. white sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
dash of salt
6 T. butter
1 c. vanilla yogurt
1/4 c. cream or half&half
1 1/3 c. craisins
2/3 c. white chocolate chips
*add toasted nuts, cocunut, berries, be creative!
Mix the dry ingredients well. Cut in the butter w/ a pastry blender or knife. Add yogurt, cream and blend 'til moist. Add craisins, chocolate and anything else you'd like. Drop onto a greased cookie sheet in mounds (don't worry about doing the regular scone triangle thing). Brush them with a bit of cream and sprinkle them with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
And for a little something special, try the sauce to go with them too:
Cream cheese
Powdered sugar
Cream
*I can't remember the proportions, just mess w/ it until you get a thick & creamy, slightly sweet mixture.
YUM!!!!! I can't wait to make them tomorrow! We'll grab two cappuccinos "to go" from a cafe somewhere close by and we'll hit the beach for an early morning breakfast. Heaven!
8 comments:
Ahhh Amy...you make me laugh...but i have to admit to doing this myself. and I am so excited you put the recipe up...just as I got to that part of your blog I was thinking "I should get that recipe from her" Anyways...good job on your attempts to save the planet...jeff would be proud
Love, katy
Amy, your story made me giggle, I can just picture it, but think if you had done it any other way, you wouldn't have had such a great story! As I was reading that you were going to make the "best scones" I thought to myself, I better ask for the recipe...then I continued reading and ah ha! I may try to make this for my coffee day on Wed, so thanx. Carly was over again tonight and we tried to skype you, but you were off line. We'll try again another time :)
Amy,
I read your blog earlier today and after work I had to go to the grocery store. I have haven't been this thankful for my car in quite some time! It also reminded me of when I lived in Germany and did the same thing. You must go to the store every other day :) Miss you! Oh and thanks for the email, it brightened my day!
i have to second what everyone else is saying! i was reading your post thinking "i need to get the recipe", and there it was!:) can't wait to try it.
miss you.
That's my Amy girl. I'm so glad you like to cook, and the fact that you are determined to "get 'er done" makes me laugh, knowing I would do the exact same thing. These Aussies must get a kick out of you. Yes we know what a treat those scones are. I'm sure they won't taste better than they will today for you.
Love Mom
Hi Amy,
I just stopped back by tonight and was so pleased to see many new posts. I love the grocery store story. Thanks for the scone recipe. . . I am trying it this weekend for company. Keep livin it up. I am a little jealous. . .
Darcy McMurray
McMurraymania.blogspot.com
Oh the fun of shopping in foreign countries. I remember grocery shopping in Spain once... my roommates and I got similarly over ambitious. We probably purchased an entire cartful of groceries, and we had to lug them home on an extremely crowded public bus. Imagine trying to worm your way through a crowd while holding 10 bags of groceries, and then walking the rest of the way home! Not fun. We Americans must have that 'buy-in-bulk' mentality written into our DNA!
I'll have to try that recipe... looks delicious.
These scones are the best--without a doubt. I'm glad you are going to make them. Your stories make me laugh--your list is too funny!
Boulder is great (63 degrees today!), but the high country has been under the attack of snow for weeks and weeks now. Trust me, you're much happier in sunny Australia than snowy Frisco!
Post a Comment